Saturday Seven

peanut-butter-sweetheart-cookies

What are you up to this weekend? And what are you baking??

This weekend I’m working on 3 new-to-me cookie recipes for Sally’s Cookie Addiction cookbook (will be published in the Fall)3 different flavors and varieties of cookies: lemon, pistachio, and a coffee-ish flavored cookie. Normally I test recipes 3x before they make it to the blog. With cookbook recipes, I’m a little more picky. I’ve even enlisted some friends to help me test recipes, just so I can take notes of what it’s like for OTHERS to make the cookies before they land a spot in the book. It’s been a lot on my plate, but I’m honestly loving this delicious work.

1) Speaking of the book, though, I’m just about 2/3 of the way done my manuscript! 🙂

2) The cookies you see above! They’re an older recipe I published on my blog 5 years ago. I make these peanut butter sweetheart cookies each Valentine’s Day. The best part is that the chocolate heart is filled with peanut butter. The hearts are Reese’s brand and you can usually find them in the seasonal candy section of the grocery store!

3) What are you making for the Super Bowl? We don’t have any plans yet, but most likely heading to our friends’ to watch the game. I’m thinking either my favorite pizza dip (it’s made with greek yogurt!) or trying out these old bay chicken wings. I live in Maryland and practically everything is covered in Old Bay. It’s awesome.

4) If you live in NYC, please visit my friend Kristen who owns DŌ, as in the confectionary shop selling all kinds of safe-to-eat cookie dough treats. I visited her original store this past Fall, but they just had their grand opening at the big new location in Greenwich Village!

5) One night this past week, I made this slow cooker chicken soup for supper. I added 1 can of corn. We loved it! Do you have any favorite slow cooker soups? Looking to add to the rotation.

6) Check out the cutting board Kevin made for my sister for Christmas. It’s made of maple, oak, cherry, and walnut. Isn’t it gorgeous?

7) I have a fun new blog project I’m working on for 2017. I’ll unveil it this coming Wednesday, so check back!

Have a great one and take some time for yourself!

Comments

1. Vicky on January 28, 2017 at 1:20 am

Hi Sally!
    I cannot believe Kristen from DŌ is your friend

• Sally on January 28, 2017 at 10:37 am

We met THROUGH her business, but it’s been so nice knowing her. She’s as sweet as her cookie dough!

2. Kyryiann on January 28, 2017 at 3:04 am

Hi Sally! Random question, what is your all-time favorite recipe?

3. Lynn @ Fresh April Flours on January 28, 2017 at 6:57 am

I love that you’re enlisting others to test your cookie recipes! That’s very smart. People interpret recipes differently, even if we think they’re laid out a certain way, so that’s helpful to know how others might be reading your instructions!

I posted a creamy chicken and wild rice soup (for the slow cooker) on my blog back in November. It’s been a reader favorite this season!

I’ve been following DO’s IG account for years. Ummm, love it.

Saw that cutting board on Kevin’s IG and I was swooooooning.

Can’t wait to see your fun blog project!!

xoxo

• Sally on January 28, 2017 at 10:34 am

I’ll check out your creamy chicken and wild rice soup!! Thanks friend.

4. Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It on January 28, 2017 at 8:04 am

I LOVE Ambitious Kitchen’s turkey chili! It’s not originally made in the slow cooker, but I know she said you can make it in the slow-cooker if you prefer! Seriously SO GOOD and perfect for game day! 🙂

• Sally on January 28, 2017 at 10:33 am

Adding to the list! Thanks Marina.

5. Danielle Andre on January 28, 2017 at 8:42 am

Hi Sally’s.

I’m a self proclaimed Cookie Monster.
    Enjoy your recipes immensely.
    Do you have favorite brand of butter to use?
    I like European butters.
    Thanks

• Sally on January 28, 2017 at 10:33 am

Hi Danielle! I usually buy what’s on sale, but recently tried Challenge brand butter and LOVED it.

6. Patricia @Sweet and Strong on January 28, 2017 at 10:02 am

When I first moved to MD I had never had Old Bay and was so confused why everything had Old Bay seasoning, potato chips, WHAT?!?  But I totally get it now, give me all the old bay wings, crab pretzel, and love it on fries.  Happy Baking this weekend.  I’m making your red velvet cupcakes since I’ve been cravvvving cake 😉

• Sally on January 28, 2017 at 10:32 am

It’s soooo good on everything!

7. Emilia on January 28, 2017 at 10:32 am

Sally, just wanted to say a big congrats for making it so far into the new cookbook manuscript! Glad things are going well.

As for soup, I recently discovered turmeric, and have been obsessed with its earthy pungent delicious comforting warming flavour (and super-bright yellow tint!). I love it in soups, though there isn’t one specific recipe I use: sky’s the limit. Butternut squash (http://www.bowlofdelicious.com/2016/12/15/ginger-turmeric-butternut-squash-soup/) and chicken are two favourites (https://urbankitchenapothecary.com/2017/01/03/turmeric-chicken-and-brown-rice-soup/).

Have a wonderful weekend with your pups et al!

• Sally on January 28, 2017 at 10:45 am

Thank you thank you for these two suggestions! The ginger turmeric butternut squash soup sounds fantastic.

8. Cate Kauffman on January 28, 2017 at 10:40 am

Have family coming in from out of town to drop off furniture to be stored in my attic. Making some Rustic Sourdough bread to make BLTs using my husband’s home made bacon that he pulled out of the smoker a few days ago.

9. Katy F on January 28, 2017 at 11:50 am

I just made some chorizo and chunky butternut squash soup with roasted tomatilla salsa. I got my husband the meat grinder attachment for the kitchenaid mixer last year and he loves making sausages. I’ll bake some bread buns and he makes the hot dogs and hamburgers. Delicious! My new obsession is baking bread, I just made an olive leaf with whole roasted garlic cloves the other day. It’s perfect with Italian minestrone! I can’t wait for your next book, there is something about cookies that make the heart happy. =)

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Chorizo and butternut squash soup! Those flavors sound heavenly. I’d love it!
      I was going to work on a new bread recipe for my blog, actually, but it may wait a couple months. I love baking bread too. It’s soothing!

10. Hayley on January 28, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I’m getting excited for Sally’s Cookie Addiction! Are you re-publishing any of your blog favourites in it? You already have so many great cookies on your site I don’t know how you still have ideas (but then I said that about your first cookbook and it was so different and great)! Ah, I’m planning on making those peanut butter sweetheart cookies this Valentine’s Day as a present for a teacher at school who helped me through a rough first term, and for my mom who, well, is my mom. I can’t wait for the superbowl either. I hate football but I love the half-time show and all the snacks so it’s a good time. And yes, I’m super jealous of that gorgeous cutting board. Proves again how homemade gifts are usually the best kind. Have a great weekend Sally 🙂

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Thanks Hayley! I’m republishing some classic recipes like my cookie cutter sugar cookies, gingerbread men, and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Pretty much the rest is all new. It’s been tough testing it all these past few months, but the finish line is in site! 🙂 Hope you had a great weekend too!

11. Destiny on January 28, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I recently discovered Skinnytaste’s Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili and my whole family loves it.

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Great suggestion– thanks Destiny!

12. Andrea on January 28, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I love that cutting board! Ohhhhhh next giveaway, one or 3 of Kevin’s specialties!

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:08 pm

I love that idea!

13. Cheryl Tabish on January 28, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Hi Sally…your husbands cutting board is beautiful and such a nice present for a brother to make and give!  I, of course have been a fan of yours for years….if I’m deleting most of my inbox your blog ALWAYS stays for my reading and trying new recipes.

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Cheryl!!

14. Lucy on January 28, 2017 at 2:40 pm

what a neat idea to use chocolate hearts in the peanut butter cookies, thanks for the idea!

15. Sara | Last Night's Feast on January 28, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Sally, those cookies are soooo cute! I can’t get enough hearts right now. Keep them coming =)

16. Marilu on January 28, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Hi Sally!
    The above cookies are simply gorgeous! And I’m sure delicious too! I’m also a self prescribed Cookie Monster (I have a stuffed and a figurine of the cute fella from Sesame Street!) and can’t wait for your new book. Your cookies are to die for. For the super bowl, I haven’t decided what to make yet, but I’m originally from upstate NY and Buffalo wings rule up there! So I’m thinking some kind of chicken incarnation with lots of hot sauce (boneless wings maybe?!) is a must.

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Boneless buffalo wings! You can’t go wrong.

17. Brenda on January 28, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Going to give this a shot for Super Bowl.
    Along with my usual game day spread.
    Also looking to make a something special “touchdown” dessert that’s Blue/Red to commemorate the New England Patriots for going all the way this year !!
    I may attempt some football cookies.  Hope I don’t “fumble”  🙂

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Laughing at your “fumble” comment 😉

That buffalo dip looks SO GOOD.

18. Brooke on January 28, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Lemon, pistachio. and coffee flavors sound delicious! 🙂

19. Laura | Tutti Dolci on January 28, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Those cookies are too cute, love the Dove hearts! 🙂

20. Austria Azaceta on January 29, 2017 at 11:25 am

Hi Sally!
    Just wanted to pipe in with a soup suggestion.  This one http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup/  is my absolute favorite!! Topped with a little shredded cheese & avocado & some tortilla chips on the side to crush in the soup as you  eat…. 🙂
    I’m planning to send a goodie box to my brother for Valentine’s Day & received a request for peanut butter cookies.  Now i’m not sure if I should make these or your peanut butter cup oatmeal cookies.  Either way, its gonna be delicious!! SO excited for the new cookbook!!
    Have a wonderful week!!

• Sally on January 29, 2017 at 2:59 pm

That chicken enchilada soup looks amazing. And easy! And my husband would love it too! Win win win.

Either PB cookie would be fabulous. The peanut butter cup oatmeal cookies are quicker though!

21. Christina on January 30, 2017 at 3:16 am

I love the idea of eating cookie dough and it’s completely safe! If I’m ever in NYC, I’ll surely visit DO! Ree’s slow cooker Mexican soup recipe sounds delicious! <3

• Sally on January 30, 2017 at 1:35 pm

It’s seriously so good!!

22. Michelle @ Modern Acupuncture on January 30, 2017 at 9:13 am

Oh my God, DŌ looks amazing!!! I have never wished to live in NYC… except for this very moment so I could visit DŌ!

23. Rebecca Schultz on January 30, 2017 at 1:47 pm

I would like to make a recommendation on a PB cookie recipe I found and loved.  I do enjoy your recipes always.  This one is my favorite and would love to know if you try it and thoughts.  It is from the site:  alaskafromscratch.com or originally from smittenkitchen.com I believe is the site she used.  I just never remember.

Reviews