This is a recipe for sweet, salty, and totally irresistible apple gorgonzola pizza. Both gorgonzola cheese and honey give the homemade pizza the most unique flavor, while rosemary adds a touch of freshness. My pizza dough recipe yields two 12-inch pizzas, so you can freeze half for later. It’s an easy thick-style pizza crust with unbeatable flavor.
Name your favorite pizza. What’s the pizza crust like? How about the pizza toppings? Was it piping hot or cold leftover pizza? And most importantly, how much cheese? 😉
You’re looking at my #1 favorite pizza of all time. Rosemary, apples, gorgonzola cheese, and honey are bit out of the ordinary for pizza, but this combination is surprisingly irresistible. Arrange it all on top of a thick-style, ultra chewy and soft pizza crust. Though store-bought pizza crust is convenient, I suggest using my homemade pizza dough for the BEST flavor. Homemade pizza crust is so much easier than you think.
Homemade Pizza Dough
First, let’s chat about homemade pizza crust. I make this pizza dough every single week:
- The recipe is perfect for bread beginners
- Only 6 ingredients
- Most of the time is hands-off
- Crisp edges & fluffy interior
- So, so flavorful.
This pizza dough yields enough for two 12-inch pizzas. You can freeze half for another time or simply make both pizzas at once. I use Red Star Platinum in my pizza dough because it produces the best results. The Platinum line is fantastic because its careful formula strengthens your dough and makes making working with yeast simple. For this pizza dough, I use only enough yeast to get the job done. By the way, if you ever have questions or concerns working with yeast, I have an entire Baking with Yeast guide.
Homemade Pizza Dough Video Tutorial
After you prepare the pizza dough, let it rise in the bowl for 60-90 minutes.
Apple Gorgonzola Pizza Toppings
After the pizza dough rises, punch it down, divide in half, then add all the delicious toppings.
- Mozzarella Cheese: The starting point for most pizza recipes, mozzarella cheese makes a lovely base layer of extra stretchy, extra delicious cheese.
- Gorgonzola Cheese: Crumbly salty gorgonzola cheese adds a sharp bite to every single slice. It pairs beautifully with sweet apple and fragrant rosemary. If you’re looking for a more mild (yet still pungent) cheese, swap the gorgonzola cheese for feta cheese.
- Thinly Sliced Apple: Use any variety of apple you love including Granny Smith, Fuji, or even Honeycrisp apples. Regardless of the variety, make sure the apple is thinly sliced because thicker slices won’t cook through. We want softened apples in each bite.
- Rosemary: A sprinkle of rosemary brightens up the entire pizza pie. You can use fresh rosemary or dried rosemary. Not a fan of rosemary? Add a touch of parsley, basil, or thyme instead.
Honey on Pizza
The pizza cooks in about 15 minutes. Once the edges brown, remove from the oven, then drizzle the hot pizza with a little honey. Sounds odd, but hear me out. My friend Marie got me hooked on the combination of salty pizza and sweet honey. A restaurant she visits in Cleveland serves a honey jar with their pizza– and they’ve become known for it! You might not believe me, but I swear you’ll be instantly hooked. A light burst of sweetness on top of salty hot pizza is like nothing you’ve ever tasted before. Try it at least once.
Right before serving the apple gorgonzola pizza, drizzle with a little honey. If you’re still skeptical, don’t worry– the honey is completely optional.
The flavors and textures in this pizza are incredible! You have the cheesy mozzarella base, the salty gorgonzola, the soft apples, aromatic rosemary, sweet honey, soft crust, and mega crispy edges. Ditch the pizza delivery, you’re eating homemade tonight!
More Pizza Recipes:
- My Favorite Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
- Hawaiian Pizza
- Margherita Pizza
- Spinach Artichoke White Cheese Pizza
This is a recipe for sweet, salty, and totally irresistible apple gorgonzola pizza. My pizza dough recipe makes enough for two 12-inch pizzas. Toppings listed are enough for one 12-inch pizza. Freeze the rest of the pizza dough for another time.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 small apple, thinly sliced (your favorite variety – I used Honeycrisp)
- chopped fresh or dried rosemary, to taste
- optional: honey for drizzling
- Prepare pizza dough through step 5, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C). Cover the shaped dough lightly with plastic wrap and allow it to rest as the oven preheats.
- To prevent the pizza toppings from making your pizza crust soggy, brush the shaped dough lightly with olive oil. Using your fingers, push dents into the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling. Top the dough evenly with mozzarella cheese. Add the gorgonzola cheese, then arrange sliced apples all over the cheeses. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven, then drizzle with honey if desired. Slice hot pizza and serve immediately.
- Cover leftover pizza tightly and store in the refrigerator. Reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen up to 3 months. See pizza crust recipe for instructions on freezing the pizza dough.
Keywords: gorgonzola cheese, apples, fall recipe