Tender, sweet, and spicy, this honey chipotle salmon makes an ideal dinner when you crave big on flavor but you’re short on time. Glazed with a honey-butter-garlic-chipotle sauce and infused with incredible smokiness… well, let’s just say all of your other dinners will be jealous.
Here’s the round-up of what you need for this honey chipotle salmon dish. Brace yourself, there’s quite a lot. (Ha!) The total number of ingredients? Just 5! (Plus salt and pepper.)
- chipotle chili spice
It’s even easier than our favorite honey garlic salmon.
Tell Me About this Honey Chipotle Salmon
- Texture: The salmon is moist, tender, and flaky. If you love salmon like this, try our lemon salmon too– another favorite!
- Flavor: With so few ingredients, it’s important to use each since they all serve a purpose. Honey? Flavor. Chili spice? More flavor. Garlic? Even more flavor. Butter? (Don’t leave this one out!) The salmon is marinated in half of the sauce mixture first, then brushed with more once it’s hot off the grill or fresh out of the oven. This really helps to lock in the sweet and spicy buttery flavor, while keeping the centers super moist and tender.
- Ease: Combine the marinade ingredients, pour the mixture into a bag with the salmon. Then grill or bake in the oven. It doesn’t get any easier than this.
- Time: 30 minutes from start of prep to table.
Overview: How to Make Honey Chipotle Salmon
The full printable recipe is below, but let’s walk through it so you understand each step before you get started.
For this simple and easy fish recipe, you can choose to grill the salmon on foil or on a cedar plank or bake it in the oven.
- Marinate the salmon. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Combine the salmon and half the marinade and set aside for at least 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat your grill or oven.
- Cook the fish. Grill the salmon on foil or on a cedar plank, skin side down. Or, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake.
- Brush with the remaining marinade. Brush just before serving for an added boost of flavor.
If you want a side dish idea, we love this salmon with corn black bean & avocado salsa. Even though you can serve it as a dip, it makes a wonderful side dish salad.
More Dinner RecipesPrint
This easy honey chipotle salmon is made with only 5 ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- 1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use 2)
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper*
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 individual salmon filets (or a large 2 lb filet)
- In a medium bowl, whisk everything together (except for the salmon of course). Place the salmon in a tupperware, baking dish, or zipped-top bag. Pour half of the marinade on top. Give everything a nice shake. Reserve the rest for step 4. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, fire up the grill to medium-high heat or preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- You can grill the salmon on foil or on a cedar plank. Grill the salmon skin side down for 15 minutes– about 10 minutes per 1-inch inch thickness measured from the thickest part of the filet or until the thickest part reaches 145°F (63°C) internal heat.
- Or bake the salmon on a lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes depending on thickness and until the thickest part reaches 145°F (63°C) internal heat.
- Brush the warm salmon with remaining marinade before serving. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat to your liking.
- Chipotle Chili Pepper: Or just use regular chili powder.