The past 2 months, I’ve been working hard to get ahead on content. My “maternity leave” will be plenty of time off from the kitchen and photography, which are the hardest parts of my job. I’m already halfway through September on photographed blog recipes, which includes tons of fun promotional recipes and events for Sally’s Cookie Addiction. I’m already working on pumpkin recipes too. And on Monday, I tested a couple new Sally’s Cookie Palooza recipes.
Yes, Christmas cookies. In July. It’s def been a weird week.
It feels wonderful to be so far ahead, but this is no easy feat– especially when I move at the pace of a turtle these days. One thing that has been my saving grace, though– easy, quick, and convenient dinners like jalapeño pepper jack turkey burgers, honey teriyaki chicken, and creamy chicken pasta salad. I typically meal prep over the weekend so I don’t have much cooking to do during the week. My most favorite? Honey chipotle salmon. *Oh my gosh.* This salmon is totally mouthwatering, tender, sweet, salty and spicy. I’ve made it a handful of times in the past month.
Here’s the round-up of what you’ll need. Are you ready for this? Probably one of the most complicated recipes I’ve ever shared with you. In fact, I’m not sure if you can handle it all.
HA! The grand total? 5 ingredients.
- chipotle chili spice
- (ok and salt + pepper)
With so little ingredients, it’s important to use each since they all serve a purpose. Honey? Flavor. Chili spice? More flavor. Garlic? Even more flavor. Butter? Don’t you dare leave this one out!
I grill the honey chipotle salmon because SUMMERTIME (!!!) but you can pop it in the oven instead, which is what we’ll do once grilling season is over. I use a cedar plank for the grill and let me tell ya, this will be some of the best salmon you ever taste. You get all this incredible smoky flavor and when that’s paired with the honey-butter-garlic-chipotle… well, let’s just say all of your other dinners will be jealous.
The salmon is marinated in half of the sauce mixture before cooking, then brushed with more once it’s hot off the grill or fresh out of the oven. This really helps lock in the sweet and spicy buttery flavor, keeping the centers are super moist and tender. And those edges? You know they’re crisp to perfection.
It’s been awhile since I shared a new dinner recipe here on my blog and that’s because I haven’t truly been “in love” with anything new we’ve tried in months! Everything has been sorta blah… until now. 🙂
This easy honey chipotle salmon is made with only 5 ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- 1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use 2)
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper*
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 individual salmon filets (or a large 2 lb filet)
- In a medium bowl, whisk everything together (except for the salmon of course). Place the salmon in a tupperware, baking dish, or zipped-top bag. Pour half of the marinade on top. Give everything a nice shake. Reserve the rest for step 4. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, fire up the grill to medium-high heat or preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- You can grill the salmon on foil or on a cedar plank. Grill the salmon skin side down for 15 minutes (about 10 minutes per 1-inch inch thickness measured from the thickest part of the filet) or until 145°F internal heat. Or bake the salmon on a lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes depending on thickness (same thing– about 10 minutes per 1-inch inch thickness measured from the thickest part of the filet).
- Brush the warm salmon with remaining marinade before serving. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat to your liking.
- Chipotle Chili Pepper: Or just use regular chili powder!
Also… 30 minute teriyaki shrimp.
and sweet chili chicken!